Ashley & Bryant

Ashley-amp-Bryant1
A weeks ago, a very thoughtful wife reached out to me to with a chalk lettering piece (similar to Jackson’s) as a surprise for her husband on their 2nd anniversary. Since the gift was celebrating their matrimonial union, it was important to emphasize their relatively new shared name, and bond as a family. Above is the quick thumbnail sketch I created for the work ahead.
Ashley-amp-Bryant2
After a few strokes on the board surface, I quickly realized the grade wasn’t genuine. While most blackboards are made of porcelain enamel steel, some brands contain a plastic component. Chalk doesn’t seem to want to stick or be nearly as vibrant as it should be. A minor set back, Ashley and I agreed the best option was to simply sketch the layout with chalk then paint the final design over it. It was actually perfect considering Ashley planned to preserve the piece forever.
Ashley-amp-Bryant4
Ashley-amp-Bryant5
Once the chalk blue print was outlined, it was time to put down the first layer of white acrylic.
Ashley-amp-Bryant6
Ashley-amp-Bryant7
Ashley-amp-Bryant7.5

Ashley-amp-Bryant9 Lilacs play a symbolic role in the couples relationship, and covered their spring ceremony, so Ashley emphasized their presence in the piece.

Ashley-amp-Bryant11
Ashley-amp-Bryant12Once all the colored coats were set and dry, I took a damp soft cloth over the entire design to wash away any remaining chalk lines. Ashley’s father was nice enough to handcraft a wooden frame from the walls of house that Ashley grew up in. It was certainly a family affair and I’m honored they put their faith in me to bring it all together. Happy Anniversary Ashley & Bryant!
Ashley-2526Bryant13

• May 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm // Reply

This looks awesome!! I’m going to have to get with you for designing a few more things soon. :)

• May 21, 2014 at 2:41 pm // Reply

Thank you Andrew! Sounds great, looking forward to working with you again. :)

• May 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm // Reply

Great work, Kate! I loved getting to see a little peak into your process and hear about the challenges & changes in the project. I hope you continue to share more with us :)

• May 24, 2014 at 2:05 pm // Reply

Oh good! Will do Dani! :) I also always like to hear about trials and solutions individuals come up with on a job.

• May 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm // Reply

Beautiful work! I love the design, and it was such a creative solution to simply use paint instead of chalk — I think it looks fantastic!

• May 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm // Reply

Appreciate it Diana! I was surprised to find most lettering artists use paint on chalkboards. I think each medium has its benefits and complications but both get the job done with a slightly different feel.

• May 21, 2014 at 9:34 pm // Reply

wow you must have such a steady hand, this is perfect! and the design is so pretty :-)

• May 24, 2014 at 2:11 pm // Reply

Haha, I’ve had years of practice. Thanks so much dear!

• May 22, 2014 at 12:28 am // Reply

these are beautiful kate!

• May 24, 2014 at 2:12 pm // Reply

Of course, Ashley! I’m thrilled you’re happy. :)