The Little Things 1

TheLittleThings1
For quite sometime now, Instagram has been my social media of choice. Partly due to the fact I am a legacy in a long line of chronic moment captors, but more importantly because of what it encourages: documentation & preservation, instantly. Similar to this DIY I shared a few months back, Instagram inspires one to slow down and recognize the beauty in life’s smaller moments. All too often, we let small petty occurrences get in the way of what could be a perfect day; meanwhile, copious amounts of small beautiful moments pass by. In attempt to stop this madness, I have decided to start a new series in honor of the little things in life worth admiring. After all who knows, one day you may look back and realize those little things weren’t so little, they were actually pretty grand.
clockwise starting in the left hand corner…
1. It was the first outdoor run of the season. My phone had died, leaving me tune-less about halfway through my route…a blessing in disguise because nothing could possibly sound quite as sweet at the melting waves crashing against the shore.
2. Well, that was short-lived. It was snowing again, but after a few juicy days of deep-breathing spring air, nothing was going to bring me down…just to be safe, I painted wildflowers while watching winter’s last say.
3. I often take for granted having the opportunity to work with my hands each day. Calligraphy is something I have done since I was just a girl. Now each time I pick up a pen and begin to render the slow and careful curves of the letter forms, I feel somehow at ease and right at home.
4. Winter wasn’t quite finished putting up her last fight, but my boyfriend and I decided to fight back by braving a rather bitter afternoon and drowning out her icy blasts with the calming sounds of Chagrin Falls.
5. Cleveland was glowing on my drive home from work. The sun was glistening off all her windows and steel. I had almost forgotten all the radiance that snow was hiding.
6. Oh to lead the life of a dog…slow down and take 15 minutes to try.
7. I received the most beautiful letter K from my new calligraphy pen pal in Portland, Oregon. Hopefully I will have a chance to share my response with you soon.
8. Nothing says “summer is on its way” like a few scoops of your favorite local ice cream. Hello Jeni’s Banana French Toast & Cedarwood Vanilla.
Be sure to take time to slow down and appreciate the little things this weekend!

• April 13, 2014 at 9:01 am // Reply

I’ve been forgetting to charge my ipod for many days this week but didn’t really miss it as it was nice to actually take in what was around me for a change! I often find myself drawing lot’s of random type, your calligraphy always stuns me, beautiful stuff.

Really pleased you liked the plate and the pun made me chuckle :p haha

• April 16, 2014 at 2:42 pm // Reply

Thanks so much Katie, and glad the pun inspired a smile and not a groan. Haha! Couldn’t agree with you more regarding taking a media break to drink in your surroundings. :)

• April 14, 2014 at 5:56 am // Reply

Lovely photos! Love your calligraphy as always and your handsome puppy!

• April 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm // Reply

Appreciate it Ellie! The puppy is quite the diva, but she’s good company when she wants to be.

• April 14, 2014 at 10:29 pm // Reply

Love your photos, Kate, and love following you on IG! It’s definitely always the little things that make me the happiest. It’s so awesome that you feel the same way about lettering as I do! I got my first calligraphy kit when I was in the 3rd grade and have loved all forms of hand lettering since then, always always experimenting. I love how it always brings me back to center :)

• April 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm // Reply

Exactly Jessica, “back to center.” I just checked out your beautiful images on IG as well, can’t wait to follow along in your adventures! :)

• April 16, 2014 at 9:18 am // Reply

Such gorgeous photos! I really need to use instagram more but my poor old iPhone 4 camera is pretty scratched up after three years of constant use! This is great inspiration though (plus ice cream… mmmmmm…) xoxo

• April 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm // Reply

I’m right with you on the four-front Lucy! ;) You definitely should, your photography makes me melt!

• April 29, 2014 at 4:19 pm // Reply

“Instagram inspires one to slow down and recognize the beauty in life’s smaller moments.” – I agree. I have never been this appreciative of what’s around me since I discovered Instagram. Funny how it had to take a photo-capturing app to turn me into a lover of…well… the world. Maybe that’s how much I’ve forgotten about the small beautiful moments.

Your photos are gorgeous and I like the way you write. <3