Sips: Shamrock Shake

Shake1
It’s about that time, kids. Every March, the nectar of the gods returns in the form of the widely sought after McDonald Shamrock Shake, a delectable minty treat made only more irresistible by its limited time offer. Now by no means am I a fast food chain frequenter; however, I always managed to make an exception for the refreshment. Unfortunately in the recent years passed, I’ve noticed an alteration in the seasonal favorite. The consistency is off, the taste is too sweet, quite frankly Mickey D, I’m not impressed let alone surprised. It’s an inexpensive franchise constantly making adjustments to their menu (for better or worse) and it’s difficult to tell exactly what you’re getting. This year I thought I would take a stand to the golden arches, and shake things up on my own…
Shamrock Shake
2 Cups of Vanilla Ice Cream
1 1/4 Cups of Low Fat Milk (I used Almond Milk)
1/4 Tsp of Mint Extract (Not Peppermint)
4 Drops Green Food Coloring (Optional)
(serves two…)
Shake2
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and pulse on high until smooth. Be careful with the mint extract, it pours quickly and a little goes a long way! You may want to stop blending occasionally to stir with a spoon and monitor consistency. And there you have it! It’s that simple.
Shake3

Shake4Try adding creme de menthe, vodka, and Irish cream liqueur to taste if looking to indulge on the 17th! Mustache straws optional. :{)

• March 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm // Reply

I have never had a Shamrock Shake! I am not a huge fan of mint flavoured foods and drinks, but my husband loves them. Maybe I’ll surprise him with one after work :) Happy Friday, Kate!

• March 19, 2014 at 1:14 pm // Reply

Sorry for the incredibly delayed responses but Dani who are you?! No Shamrock Shakes? I guess I can understand, mint is a pretty overpowering flavor. Hopefully the hubs enjoys! :)

• March 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm // Reply

No problem and I actually found a lot of variations of the recipe that specifically called for soy milk so that should be good!

• March 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm // Reply

Oh yum yum yum!!! How festive! These would make for a really awesome St. Patty’s day gathering with friends! Enjoy your weekend, my dear!

• March 19, 2014 at 7:22 pm // Reply

If I had bought enough ice cream I would have supplied the party. Thanks Jessica, hope you had a perfect weekend!

• March 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm // Reply

delicious! i’ve got irish cream ice cream on the menu this weekend ;) maybe i’ll add this too!

• March 19, 2014 at 7:23 pm // Reply

That sounds like an incredible delectable.

• March 19, 2014 at 7:24 pm // Reply

Thanks dear, I’m loving all that is pressed glass these days!

• March 17, 2014 at 10:46 am // Reply

Mustache straw is a must! What a cute glass of shamrock shake :3

• March 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm // Reply

Cute, but maybe not so practical for a milkshake. Naturally, five minutes later I wanted another.

• March 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm // Reply

I’ve never tried the McDonalds Shamrock Shake but your version looks delicious! Mint is such a great flavour, and you can never go wrong with a green beverage. Also, those straws are fantastic! xx

• March 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm // Reply

I promise these are much better than MD’s. The straws were a Target find…it has never steered me wrong on the holiday-accessories-I-don’t-really-need-but-can’t-pass-up front.