Moodboard: Vintage Varsity

VintageVarsity
This was sort of an impromptu post this morning. I recently signed on to help a friend with a small side project for her adorable son who turns 1 year-old today! A little legacy in a long line of basketball players, the design is inspired by the Ohio State sport. Last night I quickly pulled together a few reference materials and nostalgia led me to share them here. While I barely played the sport as a child, the only hoops I shoot are with my dad, and I’m still picking up the pieces of my broken heart thanks to LeBron, I have always loved the ambiance and energy surrounding the sport. There’s something comforting about the smell of the tacky leather surface of the ball, the sound of sneakers across the court, and all the visuals that come with it. What do you think? Did you play any athletics as a kid or do any sporting events inspire you?
More to come on this project…

• February 21, 2014 at 3:01 pm // Reply

I love the pops of orange – my favourite colour! And I love basketball. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

• February 21, 2014 at 10:06 pm // Reply

Thanks Dani…I think I have something in mind. Can’t wait to get your creative input!

• February 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm // Reply

Such a fun mood board! I agree with Dani — the orange/coral color is just brilliant. Also, the typography here is fantastic — any chance you would do some hand lettering for this project?

• February 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm // Reply

Hey Diana, yeah it’s actually a lettering job. I think I’m going to try to work with chalk to give it that old school, score boarding feel. What do you think?

And I love that shade of orange as well–it’s the exact color of my car! People certainly see me coming.

• February 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm // Reply

Love the warm colors and goodness, the typography!

• February 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm // Reply

Thank you Ellie! I know, brush scripts are my favorite!

• February 23, 2014 at 8:21 pm // Reply

Beautiful! And it must be nice to do projects for friends!

I played two sports when I was a kid: tennis and basketball. I loved tennis, and found a role model in Kournikova (yeah… I was 15 and she was all over the place hehe). However, I was very tall and so i was always playing for the school basketball team. I liked basketball, not as much as tennis, but I liked the social part of it. It was by far easier to gather a group of friends and go to the school courts and play a game of ball than to find someone who could challenge me on a tennis court.

anyhow, I still play basketball with my boyfriend and his friends in summer, they have a court outside, just by the ocean (which your picture with the sunlight reminded me of a bit). Gosh your pictures makes me believe I liked basketball more than I did ;)

You have got a nice blog. I am new here so I’ll be scrolling around for a while.

Latest post Men’s inappropriate compliments and plain sexual harassment

• February 24, 2014 at 3:27 am // Reply

So glad you could stop by Emma. I know where you’re coming from. I couldn’t quite handle the competition of basketball so I fell much further in love with ballet. It’s a great casual activity to engage in with friends (or boyfriends) though don’t you think?

I wish I was better at tennis. That’s a sport one can play at nearly any age. Hope you manage to find partners or opponents more frequently these days!

I’ll certainly have to check out your blog, what woman couldn’t use a “Guide for Ladies?” Keep in touch!

• February 27, 2014 at 9:31 pm // Reply

Thank you for your response! This is what I really enjoy with smaller blogs. People actually take their time to answer my epically long comments!

oo ballet? I love ballet..or lets rephrase that: I love WATCHING ballet. I feel like I am such an old soul each time I try to convince my friends that the Opera is a great way to spend a friday evening ;)

I am actually teaching my boyfriend tennis so that one day we will be able to play properly. He is an athlete, so if he can excel in one sport, my theory is that he will excel in any sport ;)

I will def keep in touch! I already follow you on bloglovin, so whenever I find time you will be seeing a lot of my crazy long comments ;) I cant seem to read a post without voicing my thoughts. Hmm I wonder why?

• February 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm // Reply

I love that and couldn’t agree more regarding the engagement with smaller blogs. I’ve fallen out of touch with a lot of blogs because they begin to seem so impersonal. What’s the point of interacting if it’s only a one way street?

Oh and after re-reading my response I meant I play basketball on occasion with the boy…not ballet. Haha! If only I could get him to do pas de deux lifts. Tennis may have to be our next feat.

Now following you on Bloglovin’ as well!

• February 24, 2014 at 5:04 am // Reply

Vintage Varsity – I couldn’t think of anything cooler! Love this inspo board.

• February 26, 2014 at 2:23 pm // Reply

You’re too sweet, thank you Samantha!