Jackson Carter

Recently a few have expressed interest in more of my process behind projects. So after this inspirational moodboard last week, I thought I would share some behind-the-scenes of the polished product. So roll up your sleeves and here we go…
Jackson1
A friend was looking for a custom chalk treatment for her son’s birthday party and to preserve as a keepsake of their perfectly wonderful 1st year together. A wee player bound to follow in his basketballin’ father’s footsteps, the celebration was inspired by the Ohio State team.
Jackson2
I pulled reference from old college pennants, 1950’s lettermen jackets, and handwritten scoreboards to quickly curate a small thumbnail sketch. From there it was to the chalk.
Jackson3
Jackson4
Q-tips greatly assisted in refining edges and cleaning up counter shapes. Below is the full composition just before the final polished pass.

Jackson5

Jackson6
I had worked with chalk on a grander scale before so I knew this would be a relatively quick and fun little project for a good cause, future all-star and cutest kid on the planet, Jackson Carter Schrock. Hope it was your best birthday yet little one…oh wait. :)
Jackson7

• February 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm // Reply

I love seeing how you went from mood board, to sketches, to final piece! And the final results are just lovely! I’ve never worked with chalk, so I’m curious — what kind of polish do you use to finish the piece?

• March 2, 2014 at 11:40 pm // Reply

Thank you Diana! And there’s a fixative you can buy to preserve the work–similar to that you would use on an oil pastel or charcoal drawing.

• February 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm // Reply

I love this! You have such beautiful handwriting. I agree with Diana. I loved see the process of your design work. Happy Friday!!

• March 2, 2014 at 11:42 pm // Reply

Appreciate it Dani! :) Hope you’re having a perfect weekend.

• March 3, 2014 at 10:42 pm // Reply

This turned out so good!! Chalkboard writing is definitely hard, I hate getting all that chalk all over me! haha

• May 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm // Reply

Haha! The dust on me doesn’t bother me nearly as much as smearing the dust off the board. :/

• March 6, 2014 at 11:29 pm // Reply

such a cute idea and such beautiful old school typography!

• May 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm // Reply

Thanks so much, glad the vintage flair shown through.