DIY: 52 Reasons I Love You

52Reasons1
Still shuffling for a last minute Valentine gift? Dollar aisle deal you an unlucky hand? (Okay I’m done.) Well look no further because today I’m sharing a simple yet sentimental craft that would make the perfect gift for any special someone in your life this season.
Everything you need for this project may be easily found around your home:
  • Scissors
  • Glue Stick
  • Card Stock
  • A Book Ring
  • Hole Punch
  • Pens (Preferably Black & Red)
  • Deck of Cards
52Reasons2
When it comes to gift giving, I’m a firm believer that it’s not money well spent, but time well spent that truly matters. So while you may be saving up for his new golf clubs or her diamond earrings, just remember handmade, one-of-a-kind trinkets are just as easily treasured. On that note, the most time-consuming portion of this project will probably be compiling a clever & unique list of 52 reasons you adore your recipient…but I promise, the list will create itself quicker than you think.
Begin by cutting 52 1″x2″ rectangles from your stock, and glue them to the center of each playing card.

52Reasons4 52Reasons5

From there, start listing away! You may want to include little illustrations, kiss marks, photos, inside jokes, or lyrics along the way. Get creative! It makes the experience that much more engaging & heartfelt.
52Reasons7
Now here comes the nitty gritty. You can go about the hole punching 1 of 2 ways. You can punch the cards as you illustrate, OR wait until you’re finished and punch through smaller stacks one at a time. I’ve gathered that you cannot punch through more than roughly 5 at a time with a standard handheld hole punch. Don’t worry about them being perfect–if the hole is in generally the same place on each card, the deck will sort of balance itself out once thread onto the book ring.
52Reasons8
Clasp the ring and voila! You have the perfect catalogue of all the memories and reasons you’re a perfect fit, whether it’s for your significant other, your best friend, or your mom! Better than those clubs, and more precious than the diamondsokay that was for real, the last one.

52Reasons9

• February 12, 2014 at 2:38 pm // Reply

This is such a great gift! Not only on Valentine’s Day (especially with no boyfriend to give it to..), but as a birthday present to a dear friend as well!

It must take ages to finish though!

• February 12, 2014 at 8:41 pm // Reply

I love that spin. SO many Valentine’s Day gifts seem more appropriate for a lady friend than a boyfriend.

And it took me a little over an hour, not including comprising the list beforehand. I guess it depends on how involved you want to get with each reason. ;)

• February 12, 2014 at 2:57 pm // Reply

This is such a perfect gift! I love it, it’s absolutely adorable. I just may have to make one for my special guy :) Thanks so much for sharing!

xo
    Dolce

• February 12, 2014 at 8:44 pm // Reply

So glad you found it inspiring Dolce! Hope to see your masterpiece when finished and Happy early Valentine’s Day to you two. :)

• February 12, 2014 at 5:06 pm // Reply

This is such an awesome gift and could be given any time of the year! Great idea. I love your handwriting too…so pretty!

• February 12, 2014 at 8:48 pm // Reply

So true and thanks Dani, my handwriting tends to gather mixed reviews!

• February 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm // Reply

Sure thing Andrea, I’m always happy to support a fellow blogger. :)

• February 13, 2014 at 2:55 pm // Reply

What a beautiful V-day gift. Wish I had your skills or at least amazing ideas like that. It’s perfect :)

xx Mira

• February 15, 2014 at 1:15 am // Reply

Oh I have no doubt you could pull this off flawlessly Mira!

• February 13, 2014 at 6:41 pm // Reply

This is such a cute idea!! I love it! Thanks for sharing :)

xo Megan, Lush to Blush

• February 15, 2014 at 1:16 am // Reply

Of course, thank you for stopping by Megan. :)

• February 13, 2014 at 10:56 pm // Reply

This is absolutely wonderful! I love creating hand made gifts and agree there is more thought than buying something a million others have. If I had a significant other I’d be whipping one of these up big time!

In reply to your comment (thanks so much by the way!) precision is very hard to grasp, I find especially in portraiture. I find using the grid method helps incredibly well but like you said I’d like to become looser with my way of working and not take everything so seriously as often I set my expectations far too high.

Your profile interested me a lot. I’m becoming more and more interested in Typography. I’m actually starting a graphic design course soon and I’m excited to get stuck in and understand type more – I’ve browsed your blog and I noticed especially your use of typography is flawless. I actually studied Fine Art but really found myself distant from the course at uni but was too worried to switch in the early days of starting, big regret as I’m sort of in limbo career wise now, I just hope I gain skills on the course which was unlike my fine art course sadly.

• February 15, 2014 at 1:32 am // Reply

I’m sure your course will help you gain a much firmer grasp on typography. Those classes can start a little nit picky and particular but hang in there, they get much better! From there type can only support your beautiful illustrations. It certainly looks like you learned a lot from your fine arts coursework because your style is stunning! I, on the contrary, wish I had more time to illustrate by hand outside of my full-time job. I illustrate for a greeting card company and even taught an illustration course this past fall at a nearby university, but still couldn’t manage to find time to create just for me. There’s a huge difference. Maybe I should make that a goal.

Can’t wait to follow along with your blog and see where your talent takes you!

Keep in touch!

• February 14, 2014 at 11:03 am // Reply

This is adorable!

• February 15, 2014 at 1:34 am // Reply

Thanks Ellie, so is your blog–I just checked it out!